These books can be used with any student to engage in a “Yes,” or “No” conversation.
The idea to create these books came from Jessicia Klenk, a TCVI at the WISD. They were originally created to elicit a “Yes!" or "No!” response as an alternative access form of a Pragmatic Organization Dynamic Display (PODD) book with Partner Assisted Scanning for students who use Augmentative and Assistive Communication. (AAC)
Partner Assisted Scanning Tips
• A method of communication where a partner reads the selections aloud systematically while observing the communicator’s indications.
• Read using a monotone voice so as not to influence the communicator’s choices.
• After their response is shared, repeat back to them the full message and then adopt a conversational tone to comment and respond.
The student/communicator will indicate their yes or no choices by their best means:
• Vocalize for yes, quiet voice for no/keep going
• Nod head for yes, shake head side to side or no movement for no/keep going
• The Red X symbol indicates a “No!” response.
• The Green Zero symbol indicates a “Yes!” response.